Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Let the Games Begin!





This summer, I'm going to be volunteering with the youth group that Genny is a regular volunteer for. Last night was the first night of the summer schedule, and and what better activity to kick off the season than ice blocking? Ice blocking was new to me when I moved to Colorado, but apparently it's pretty popular to buy or make your own large blocks of ice, and ride them down grassy hills. Like sledding, but no sled, or snow. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about snow up your shirt and down your pants, on the down side you generally come home covered and mud and/or grass stain. This was compounded by the fact that on this particular June 2nd which was to epitomize summer, it was 50 degrees and raining.

Us leaders had discussed before the night began about wether or not we would cancel due to weather. Apparently we forgot about being a teenager and the fact that rain and mud work together to make all things better. Everyone had a blast and no two kids were not un-dry.

Speaking of games... I'll be leaving tomorrow for Vail, CO to cover the Teva Mountain Games. I managed to score myself a media pass to the event. So I'll be where all the action is, hopefully getting some awesome shots. Stay tuned! In the meantime, here are more ice blocking shots.








No comments: